Our external doors are built to last. They are designed with all the elements in mind. From sweltering heat to blistering cold, your front door withstands it all. As with all external doors, the maintenance can be the make or break, even pre-finished doors will require some maintenance from time to time. Here are some Do’s and Don’ts for looking after your external door.
- Check with your door manufacturer for their approved finishes, every type of wood is different and what works for one may damage another. Make sure you check this before applying anything to your door. Done incorrectly, you may invalidate your warranty
- Apply a minimum of 3 coats to all faces and edges of the door. Any exposed edges could cause the door to swell which in time means it may not fit/function properly
- Apply at least 1 coat immediately upon unpacking the door to untreated areas.
- Use a ‘High Build’ tinted wood-stain or good quality exterior paint (Finishing Kits are available from XL Joinery: please contact your local stockist)
- Make sure any holes cut into the door for things such as letter plates are also fully finished with 3 coats
- Use thin penetrating seals, oils, wax, dyes, preservatives or hard, brittle varnish finishes
- Apply stains or paints in damp/wet weather
- Use thinned/mixed paints or stains
- Mix incompatible products
- Leave any wood exposed – any wood that the elements can get to will cause the door to expand
As with all XL Joinery doors, it is important that all finishing is completed before the door is fully installed. You will need to check the door finish regularly to ensure no areas of the door have become exposed. These checks should always be carried out after instances of extreme weather conditions.
For further help and advice on finishing your XL Joinery External door you can call our technical helpline on 07000785571 or contact us here.
For more help, have a look at the video below: